How do I use the Libby app for OverDrive? Last Updated: Feb 26, 2020 Views: 2422
How do I use the Libby app for OverDrive?
OverDrive offers two apps: the "classic" OverDrive app, which works with almost all devices and computers, and the Libby app, which was designed specifically for phones and tablets.
If you want to read on a Mac, Windows 7 PC, or Kindle, please see "How do I use OverDrive?"
- Get the app. "Libby by OverDrive" is currently available for these device types.
- Install Libby and open it. Follow the prompts to set up the app and add your library card and PIN to it.
Borrowing and reading:
Libby downloads automatically over Wi-Fi, but streams over a cellular connection.
Library and Shelf
- Look at the bottom of the screen for the words "Library" and "Shelf." Tap Library to search for and check out books, or tap Shelf to find your borrowed titles and holds.
- The circle between "Library" and "Shelf" will show the cover of the book you are currently reading; tapping it will open your book so you can keep reading.
Search for and borrow a book:
- Pick an available book and tap on the book cover to see details (you can also tap on “Borrow” to check the book out immediately.)
- Find “borrow” underneath the book cover and tap to check out the book. Tap "Borrow" to confirm.
- You will get a message that the book is checked out, and beneath that, the option to either start reading, or keep browsing.
Place a hold:
- Tap a book cover to read more about a book before placing a hold, or simply tap "Place Hold."
- Libby will ask you to confirm that you want to place the hold, then place it and offer you the option to read a sample, suspend your hold, go to your shelf, or keep browsing.
Suspend a hold:
- Tap "Shelf," then look at the top of the screen for "Holds" and tap.
- Find the cover of the book. You will see the option to "Manage Hold"—tap, then tap "Suspend Hold."
- To the right you'll find "Active"—tap and you will get a menu that allows you to suspend your hold from anywhere between one week to six months. Choose a length of time and then tap "Update Hold."
- Tap "Go To Shelf" if you're done, or "Update Hold Suspension" if you wish to make changes.
Change your notifications:
Libby app users will be notified by in-app notifications, push notifications, and/or email. For more information about adjusting your push or in-app menu badge notification preferences, click here. For information about activating or reactivating email notifications, click here.
Return a title early:
- Tap "Shelf," then tap "Manage Loan"
- Tap "Return Title Early," and then "Return!"
You can find more information and troubleshooting tips on Libby's help site.
Need additional help? Please contact us!
Last Updated: Feb 26, 2020 Views: 2422